Cavities are very common. In fact, it is estimated that nine out of ten adults in the U.S. develop at least one cavity in their lifetime. Parkside Family Dental is committed to helping our patients restore their teeth and maintain happy, healthy smiles. Whether you think you may have a cavity or you know for sure that you need a tooth-colored dental filling, please contact us!
How are dental fillings placed?
Before the filling can be placed, the teeth and gums will be numbed with a local anesthetic and the cavity area will be removed. Next, the filling material will be created to match the exact shade of the surrounding teeth, molded into the proper shape, and then placed securely on the tooth. We will make any necessary adjustments to ensure that the filling will look great and feel indistinguishable from the rest of the tooth before curing it with an ultraviolet light and hardening it into place.
What are the benefits of tooth-colored fillings?
There are many reasons why patients prefer tooth-colored fillings over traditional silver fillings. The benefits of utilizing tooth-colored fillings include:
- Custom Shades—The shade of the resin is made to blend in flawlessly.
- Long-Lasting—They are durable and can last up to 15 years.
- Preserve Tooth Structure—Require less of the natural tooth to be removed.
- Safer for Teeth—Our composite fillings are mercury-free, unlike silver fillings.
- Strengthen Teeth—Tooth-colored fillings strengthen and support the natural tooth.
Can cavities heal on their own?
Unfortunately, once a tooth has been affected by the bacteria that cause cavities, it must be repaired by a dental professional.